Students are invaluable assets of a country. They are the future of the country, hence, proper investment in their education ensures progress of the entire nation. In 2020, major changes in education policy were made which will certainly change the perception of school education. Around, 99,300 crore for the education sector and an additional 3000 crore for skill development has been allocated in the 2020 Budget.
Apart from this, focus has shifted on fundamental literacy, building a stronger foundation by making students ready for the challenges of their academic future by building a strong foundation of K-12 education.
It is one of the reasons that EdTech has become the projected trending career field of 2021. For students, the government has introduced scholarships so that money doesn’t hinder the progress of meritorious students.
Science Olympiad Foundation Scholarships: With the aim to promote Science, Mathematics, Computer, etc the SOF conducts national level Olympiads along with scholarships for students.
1. SOF Academic Excellence Scholarship: Available for students of Standard 1st to 12th, this is a merit-based scholarship awarded to the student who obtains highest cumulative marks in any Four Olympiad Exams (IEO, NSO, IMO, IGKO) during the year conducted by the SOF. The winner receives a trophy and citation.
2. Scholarship for Excellence in English: The scholarship is awarded to students who score well in English throughout the session. Any student from standard 1st to 10th is eligible to participate. The minimum required score is 90%.
3. Girl Child Sponsorship Program: As clear from the title, the scholarship is meant to promote girl-child education and awards financial assistance to economically weaker girl students from standard 1st to 10th.
All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE): This is an apex advisory body set up in November 1945 to promote development in the country in a coordinated and integrated manner. For this, it also provides scholarship schemes for students in higher education.
4. Pragati Scholarship Scheme for Girl Students: This scholarship was initiated under the umbrella of "Empowering Women through Technical Education". This scholarship provides full fee payment of girls students who are currently enrolled in 1st or 2nd year of Post-Graduation with a meritorious score in their High School and Intermediate class.
5. Scholarships for Top Class Education for Students with Disabilities: AICTE also works for empowerment of the differently-abled students enrolled in Undergraduate, Postgraduate or Diploma Courses. The minimum score in degree course should be 40% and a higher score ensures more chances at receiving the scholarship as only 300 students are awarded.
Government of India Scholarships: Every year, GOI introduces various scholarships based on merit, caste, gender, economic status, standard or level of education, state, etc. This is meant for the encouragement of students to study with more determination and ensure that their financial burden is shared.
6. Pre-Matric Scholarships Scheme for Minorities: For students belonging to minority section of society studying from standard 1st to 9th, this scholarship aims to empower students from economically backward family.
7. Umbrella Scheme for Education of ST Children – Post Matric Scholarship: Specifically awarded to the meritorious students belonging to the Scheduled Caste or Tribe category, this scholarship is given to students whose family income is less than 2 Lakhs and are currently in standard 11th or 12th.
8. Umbrella Scheme for Education of ST Children – Pre Matric Scholarship: Specifically awarded to the meritorious students belonging to the Scheduled Caste or Tribe category, this scholarship is given to students whose family income is less than 2 Lakhs and are currently in standard 9th or 10th.
10. National Scholarship Exam: Every year this scholarship is awarded to students from standard 5th to 12th who qualify the said exam. It is based on Multiple-Choice Question pattern and the medium of exam is English.
11. Post Matric Scholarship: This scholarship is included under Prime Minister's New 15 Point Programme for the Welfare of Minorities. Awarded to students of standard 11th and 12th it includes students of economically weaker section who have scored at least 50% in their 10th Board Exams.
12. Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship Scheme for Minorities Girls 2020-21: For the girl students belonging to minority community from standard 9th to 12th, this scholarship aims to provide tuition fee who are unable to continue their education due to financial issues.
Other than this there are other scholarships:
13. Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research (INSPIRE),
14. National Science Talent Search Exam (NSTSE),
15. ISRO Young Scientist Space Program,
16. Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY),
You can get information about these by clicking here. Apart from these there are other volunteering, internship and workshop opportunities organised for school going student so that they can explore areas of study apart from their curriculum.